||SETTING UP THE GABRIEL PROJECT IN YOUR COMMUNITY
A. INITIAL ORGANIZATION
- Contact the local bishop to obtain his endorsement and a letter stating his endorsement. This letter will be sent to his pastors.
- Contact the churches that already have pro-life affiliation, such as, through their support of crisis pregnancy centers or sidewalk counselors. Obtain their endorsement and participation.
B. THE DIRECTOR SHOULD ORGANIZE THE FOLLOWING:
- Life Signs to be made in quantity at reasonable cost ($120.00 per sign). If a parish is unable to purchase the sign, it will be donated by Human Life International via a written request to HLI from the parish pastor.
The sign is 4' x 4' plywood, which says:
PREGNANT? NEED HELP?
followed by additional, appropriate text offering help and the central phone number with area code. A suggestion for text is:
We, the members of this church community, see in the birth of each baby a fresh expression of God's unfailing love. For the love of God and each and every one of His children, we offer immediate and practical help to any woman.
- Pastor's Manuals: for the pastor and those leaders in the church to understand the philosophy and responsibilities of joining the Gabriel Project.
- Angel's Training and Manual
- Sign-up Cards: for use in soliciting broad support in the church community
- Central Phone Number: An office needs to be set up or chosen so that volunteers may come in to answer the calls, or the calls may be call-forwarded to volunteer homes based upon an agreed schedule. Usually, morning and afternoon shifts of four hours seem to work well.
An answering machine is a must for returning missed calls. We have done this for the Delaware Valley area through the Delaware Valley Pro-Life Alliance hotline (610) 626-4006, and an office is set up and maintained by the director (215) 379-LOVE.